Friday, February 26, 2010

Finally thawed out

We voyaged to Whistler today to see the bobsleigh. Amazing. There's no way to describe how fast the bobsleds are speeding in person. I have a lot of photos of empty track to prove it. I managed to get a few shots with the bobsled in frame, but it was difficult. We traversed to the very top of the course and happened to be standing next to two fans who live ten minutes away from me. We shared e-mails and will trade photos after the Games. We watched the competitors speed down and slown made our way along the course, getting views from all the turns. The course was extremely fast, with several teams crashing around turn 13. Fortunately everyone was ok, and they were even able to take their second runs. After becoming completely frozen, I took the gondola back to the Village and wandered around to find some coffee.

Ray, Angie, and I met at Araxi for dinner. This is the restaurant featured on Gordan Ramsey's "Hell's Kitchen" tv show. No, the winning chef was not there, nor was Chef Ramsey. The meal was quite pricey, but so worth it. I had a perfect Sablefish dish. After checking out the scene in the great little ski town, we got back on the bus to head back for our final night in Vancouver.

As soon as we got on the Skytrain, it was pure insanity. Canada had won its game against Slovakia to make it into the Gold medal matchup against USA on Sunday. The home team will have another chance against the Americans. The town seems to forget about the loss last Sunday. There are spontaneous singings of "Oh Canada", constant honking of car horns, and a whole lot of screaming. I tried to look inconspicuous, but the American flag sticker on my face gave me away. For the most part, the crowd remained friendly.

I can't believe that this is our last night. It has been a whirlwind tour of the Olympics and we are set for another trip eight years from now, dependant on location. We took bets as to where the Games will be. I picked a Scandanavian country (Swedish fans have been very pleasant), Angie chose North American, and Ray has Munich, which is the only city we have heard of so far that is putting in a bid. We know that Sochi in four years is not enough time to prepare for another trip, so we're hoping for the following Winter Games.

In case you didn't read before, I have articles on Puckingawesome.com and NHLdigest.com. I should have one on delcotimes.com as well, but I'm not sure what day. I'll keep you updated. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment